Friday, September 3, 2010

Theme Week #1 - First person

I love to read. I can sit and read to the exclusion of everything else around me. Having enjoyed my literature class so much last semester, and having done (if I must say so myself) a bang-up job on my writing assignments for that class, I was really looking forward to a writing class. I was a bit aprehensive when the woman at the bookstore informed me that there was no book for the class however. My husband laughingly asked what would you need a book for in a class where you were supposed to be writing anyway? I grimaced a bit and thought that perhaps there might be a book that taught how to be a creative non-fiction writer, and when I said as much, he just smiled. So tenitively I opened my first email from Mr Goldfine, reading through, sinking down into my chair a bit more with each sentence. I start at the top of the email again to clarify in my mind what in the world I am supposed to be doing, while wondering what in the world I was doing in this class. I'm not going to be a writer, or an english teacher, what am I taking this class for? I mentally quash all of the increasing panic, and click the link to the "test" (?!!?) for starting up the class. My stomach begins to clench as I quickly scan down the page of multi-part, multi-post messages and instructions. I calmly mention to my husband that he's going to need to be in charge of the kids for a while so that I can get my class set up, but he saw my face. The grim set of concentration, and almost panic was announcing to him that it was time to clear out and batten the hatches.

I won't go into the details of the test, but needless to say, I did manage to get to the finish line in a round-about kind of way. My spirits a bit lighter, and the sweat disappearing from my brow, I mentally pat myself on the back for getting it done and begin to wander down the path of my random daydreams of becoming a published author. How amazing would it be to actually write a book? I always wondered if I would be able to write a book that was able to paint the characters and scenes as perfectly as the books that I love to read. Buoyed by enthusiasm I look through the assignments and wonder if perhaps I was a bit too hasty in drafting my first dedication.

1 comment:

  1. You did it! You passed the test! You got a laff out of me while describing your misery and despair (nothing makes teacher laugh more than student pain!)

    You really do a nice job with this, leading us from your happy, carefree life pre-162 to the sweat-inspiring confrontation with the TEST to final, less stressed thoughts about writing.

    I'll tell you why you should write: because the universe only exists through our words, or, if you are religious, the Word. Every piece of writing that is good and then made even better helps improve the universe, helps to bring light to the darkness that sometimes seems to surround us.

    That's my faith anyway.

    ReplyDelete