Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Journal #5 - Wednesday: Blog Interrupted

So today is Wednesday and my last journal entry was Sunday.  No, we have not had a cosmic realigning of the days of the week, however the little town of Winterport has had a cosmic interruption of sanity.  I realize that Route 1 is a main throughway for traffic, since the interestate is not convienently close.  I live right on Rt 1 as a matter of fact, so I can attest to the amount of traffic that uses this little unimpressive road for daily commuting and travel.  What I do not understand is the town's sudden (although it is something that I am sure has been in the works for quite some time) desire to cut down a forest worth of trees to allow for 100 feet of culvert on each side of the road.  Trees that were peacefully living along the the road long before there was commuter traffic to and from Bangor, have been savagely pruned, chopped, crushed, and ground to wood chips apparently to allow for the expedited flow of water along side of the road.  Secondary to that whole topic, is the fact that some genius in the tree-hacking crew must have miscalculated and managed to damage the rather obvious power and utility lines that were running along the roadway.  Thus interrupting the ability for my profound blogging and successful harvesting of my FarmTown crops.  I am not going to mention the ridiculous flaggers (why are they called flaggers when they hold stop signs and not flags anyway?) on perpetual cigarrette and cell phone breaks while leaning on said stop sign.  If only we were all so lucky to have that kind of job, huh?  Anyway, not a good day for me.  Frustration abounds at my house today for some reason.  As a result my husband has declared that EVERYONE is having an early bedtime tonight so that "everyone" can wake up in a much better mood tomorrow.  I am going to ignore his pointed look at me when he said it, but will perhaps take it under advisement.  Maybe I need a nice relaxing job, like leaning on a stop sign?

1 comment:

  1. I like that grumpy description of the road crews and the road work--the writer's job in a piece like this is to be vivid, funny, and leave the reader with an impression, not to be completely fair and thoroughly researched. You are the writer and you win this round over the flaggers and tree crew!

    ReplyDelete