Saturday, November 13, 2010

Theme Week #11 - Maybe?

He said, "I want to be with you" but then went out with the boys for a night of drinking.

He finally said, "I love you" but still flirted with the waitress.

The last time he said, "It wasn't my fault" but I stopped listening.

Much later, I went to college and I took a great English class.  I learned more about myself and my life in that class than I would have imagined.  Emphasis was the key.  The teacher looked at me and asked, "Where is the emphasis?"

Well, where was it? 

Was it "I want to be with you" or "I want to be with you"?

What about "I love you" versus "I love you"?

And clearly "It wasn't my fault" over "It wasn't my fault."

It didn't matter all that much anymore, but it makes me pay attention to what I say and do.  I remind myself "Where is the emphasis?"

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful material! Here it is slightly rearranged to make it more mysterious, to press the reader harder, to, ahem, emphasize.

    He said, "I want to be with you" but went out with the boys for a night of drinking.

    He said, "I love you" but flirted with the waitress.

    He said, "It wasn't my fault" but I had stopped listening.

    Much later, I went to college and I took a great English class. I learned more about myself and my life in that class than I would have imagined. Emphasis was the key. The teacher looked at me and asked, "Where is the emphasis?"

    Well, where was it?

    Was it "I want to be with you" or "I want to be with you"?

    What about "I love you" versus "I love you"?

    And clearly "It wasn't my fault" over "It wasn't my fault."

    It didn't matter all that much anymore. I asked, "Where is the emphasis?"

    ReplyDelete