Friday, November 12, 2010

Theme Week #10

The ringing phone pulls me away from the sink.  Wiping my soapy hands on a dish towel, I send out a quick prayer that the school is not calling with a sick child, and answer the phone.

"Hey there." 

It's Sarah.  I wonder what she wants.  She never calls just to say hi, and whatever she wants is usually wrapped up in a strange and convoluted tale of wierdness.  But I play my part and ask how she is doing, and what she has been up to lately.

"Umm..."

Here it comes.  The umm is the signal.  She knows that I know that there is something going on, and she doesn't know how to come straight out with it.  She knows that I will ask.

"So, what's up?  Is something wrong?"  I head to the coffee pot to get another cup.  I know that I will need it.  Stirring in the sugar, I hear her take a deep breath and let out a sigh.  It's all I can do to play this game with her again, and again, and again....

"Well..."

Stage two begins.  Progress of sorts.  Now I get to drag whatever it is out of her, piece by piece.  Why is it that she calls me for something and I am the one that has to play guessing games?  Glancing over at the clock I realize I have half and hour until I have to leave for class, no time for games today.  Frustrated, I head off the tiptoe-ing around and come straight out with it.

"Listen Sarah, I have 15 minutes until I have to walk out the door.  I am really glad to hear from you, but why don't you just tell me whatever you called to tell and ask whatever you wanted to ask?"

"Oh... well I can call you back later."

Damn, I forgot about stage three.  Where she wants to be so considerate and doesn't want to be a bother.  Well I can play that game too.

"Well if you want to, but I didn't know if you were just calling to say hi or if there was something specific you wanted, to talk about I mean.  And you know that once the kids are home it gets too hectic for me to chat on the phone for more than a minute or so."

Hah!  Let's just see what she does with that.

"No, I'll just call you back later, maybe tonight or something.  Or if you don't have class tomorrow, maybe I can just catch you then..."

Calling her bluff, and claiming victory, I agree.  Tonight or tomorrow would probably be better, and I will talk to her then.  Setting down the phone and humming as I walk off to the shower, I figure that I might just have time to stop for a snack before class.

**

Sarah sets down the phone.  She looks at it for a minute then sighs as her eyes drift over to the suitcases sitting by the door.  She can call back later tonight or maybe tomorrow... maybe.  It really depends on where she ends up staying, since it's not going to be here, not anymore, not with him.

I wish I had known...

1 comment:

  1. This is very nicely done, very week 10--you let the words of the conversation and your thoughts about the words pingpong back and forth very nicely--and then that sudden shift of point of view in the last vignette is startling and very effective. You put your cleverness on display as you counter her passive-aggressiveness, and then undercut it when you show the irony of her not telling you something important and your chagrin, annoyance, embarrassment at having put her off with your cleverness.

    Looks like Sarah wins again!--what they used to say, "She can't win for losing." She wins by losing....

    ReplyDelete