Saturday, October 2, 2010

Week #5 Prompts

 
17. You’ve lost It! Where is It?
The sun was brighter, the sky was blue-er, and the birds were cheerful-er... well you know what I mean. The first day of our honeymoon looked to be just about perfect. Hubby and I decided that we wanted to go camping at this really great campground that we had been to before. It was by the lake and had boats and things to rent during the day, and at night we could sit by the campfire and play cards by lantern-light. Barring a small incident with a curious racoon in the middle of the night, things were going great, and that day promised to be exactly what we ordered so that we could go out on the lake for the day. It was lots of fun to paddle around the lake, stopping for a while to lay in the sun or swim to cool off. We managed to keep the paddleboat upright the whole time. After taking the boat back in we went up to change to go out to dinner. I heard hubby yelling as I came back from the showers.
"Where is it? Oh my GOD!! Where is it?"
My darling husband, newly wed for almost 48 whole hours, had managed to lose his wedding band. He swore that he didn't take it off, but that it must have fallen off in the cool water of the lake. I smiled at him, it was funny to see him freaking out. He looked at me like I was crazy, not understanding the smile at all. I was smiling first - he was my husband and there was a ring to lose at all, second - because he was so upset, it was a big deal to him that it was gone, third - because he had no idea how long I was going to be able to make him miserable about this, even after we went to the jewelery store for his new one the next day.

22 – A Stranger comes to town
A stranger comes to town. Ya, that's me, I'm the stranger here.
Stepping out of the airport into the 110 degree afternoon heat reassured me of the fact that I was indeed, the one out of place here. Having just spent the last 36 hours transporting myself by car, bus, and plane from Maine to Missouri, my brain was scrambled just about enough to sit and argue this fact.
How could I be a stranger here? I was born here, I grew up and started kindergarden here... Just because I moved away (against my will) in elementary school doesn't mean I am a stranger.
Of course I am a stranger. Wasn't I just getting the wierdest look for asking where I could get a soda instead of asking for a pop? Aren't I the only one for miles that appears to be melting into the pavement? Didn't I just have to describe what I was wearing to my cousin on the phone so she could recognize me to pick me up? I might as well just ask for the nearest lobster pound while I am at it.
I have no sense of humor when I am arguing with myself, so I didn't laugh at that. However, I did call a truce and leave it. There were things to do and places to be since I finally arrived - mainly get to see Grandpa. Grandpa was the reason that I had come out to Kansas City. He was sick, very sick, most likely dying - and I was there to see him before he was gone. Grandpa was my heart and soul, I had loved him dearly ever since I could remember. He was always there, in every memory I had of my early childhood.
My cousin did find me, and we cruised down the interstate towards the hospital. Blissfully the AC had a chance to kick in before we arrived and I was no longer quite melting like a forgotten ice cream cone. Walking down the hallway and into Grandpa's room, I was forcably reminded of the arguement I was having with myself earlier.
Who are these people? Do I know them? Am I in the right room? Or are they?
Of course you know them, you moron. Grandpa is right there in the bed. Do you think people wander hospitals and just walk in and hold hands with people they don't know? Don't you think the nurses pay attention to who goes in and out of the rooms?
I recognized Grandma (Grandpa's second wife) sitting off to the side and I went over to hug her. She was smaller that I remembered, and sad. I didn't hear what she mumbled in my ear, but that was ok. I stepped back and turned around, everyone else was looking at me. I could almost hear the conversations they were having in their heads, "Who is that stranger? Where did she come from? Is she related?" I ignored all of them for the time being (I would apologize later) and walked up to Grandpa's side.
I reached out my hand and laid it on top of his, looking weak and pale even against the white hospital sheets. I looked up into Grandpa's face, into his eyes, and smiled. He smiled back, "Hey stranger, what brings you here?"
20 – The battle begins
"The battle begins!" I whisper under my breath. It's 7:43pm on a cool, crisp Wednesday night. I mentally give myself 2 more minutes of peace before announcing bedtime, since I know what will happen once I do. My two minute reprieve goes all too fast, but I get up from the computer regardless and take a deep breath.
"Ok, guys. It's time!!"
Instantly I hear the whines, grumbles, and stomping that accompanies bedtime every night. Miranda gets to me first.
"But mooooommmmmm..." she begins. "This is a new show and I won't be able to see it again and it's only got a little bit more and I promise I will get up in time for school I'll even get up early and Branden is still watching his show and it's not fair that the boys have a TV in their room and I don't."
I don't know how she has the breath to say that all at once without stopping. It's a good thing that I don't have to bother listening to it all, since it's probably the same thing that she said last night, and the night before, and the night before... Regardless, I put on a smile. She knows that it's not the "ok you can stay up late" smile, it's the "Your excuses aren't working and you're going to bed" smile. She sees my face and stomps off to the bathroom, hopefully to brush her teeth and change. I'm optimistic like that.
Branden is next, stomping down the stairs. "Mum! I have homework!" as he swings his backpack onto the table with a thud. Homework is the magic word - worlds revolve around homework, time stops, and mountains move. Not this time.
"Bran, tomorrow is Thursday. You have a study hall first period. You can do your homework then instead of shooting hoops in the gym." I can see the attitude starting to boil under the surface of his pain expression. "I asked you if you had homework earlier, and you said 'no.' That was your chance, so you will have to miss hoops tomorrow."
The indecision is plain on his face: admit he lied, make up an excuse, or suck it up. Before he has a chance to pick one I add the killing blow, "You know if you don't have enough time after school for homework now, maybe we should take you out of Cross Country?" That did it, Mom-1 Branden-0. Branden sulks off and pounds on the bathroom door to hurry Miranda along.
It's too quiet, so I head upstairs to find Colby. As I come to the top of the stairs I hear, "Goodnight Mom" Colby is lying on his bed, covered up, patiently waiting for his goodnight song. What a good boy!!! "Hush-a-bye?" he asks. I sing his goodnight song, ingoring Miranda and Branden as they clomp up the stairs as loudly as possible in protest. I check in on both of them afterwards - making sure they are actually in bed, wish them goodnight, and then head back downstairs.
I begin switching off the lights, making a circuit around the rooms of the house, picking up cups and discarded socks along the way. My very own victory lap - peaceful, quiet victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment