Saturday, October 2, 2010

Week #3 Prompts

#9 - Try a conversation between you and yourself. Sometimes arguments are fun.
The soft glow of the lamp shines across the computer desk. All around, the house creaked and moaned, settling for the evening. The kids are showered and in bed, hubby is safely occupied with something out of earshot. I sit here wondering what I should do with myself. The Mom on my left shoulder and the Me on the right discuss the options.
"You really should go do the dishes from dinner" Mom says patiently. She knows where this discussion is going to go.
"Seriously? I just cleaned the kitchen, made dinner, and made dessert. I even took over homework duty and got the kids settled. I think that I am off duty for the rest of the night." Me huffs and turns away, presenting a cold shoulder to rebuff any further remarks.
Mom sighs, "Who is going to do them? The kids are in bed, and Hubby certainly won't be doing them tonight, if ever" she grumbles. Me tries one more shot.
"I deserve some quiet time too. I had class today, and homework, and.. ugh"
Mom reaches over and pats Me on the back, "There you go. There's your pat on the back. Do you feel better? Let's make a deal. Go and start the dishes, make some coffee, and when the coffee is done you can call it quits and leave the rest for tomorrow."
Me, knowing when to quit while still ahead, agrees. "Alright, but this time I really AM going to stop when the coffee is done, and leave the rest!"
Mom smiles, "Ok, if you say so." I leave the comfy computer chair and head to the kitchen, Mom, Me, and myself.
#11 - I said, she said conversation.
Listening to the ring on the other end of the line, I take a deep breath and remind myself that I need to be nice.
"Good morning, how can I help you?"
It's the familiar sound of the switchboard operator. I recognize her voice from the several other calls I have made this week (so far).
"Hello, I was hoping to speak with Kelly. Is she in today?" I add the extra question on the hopes of getting some information rather than the automatic transfer to Kelly's line.
"One moment please. "
No such luck. Whisked away through the maze of the office system, I mentally prepared what I am going to say to the voicemail yet again. This is the fourth call this week.
"You have reached Kelly's desk. I am away from my desk or on another line..." What a surprise. Even calling first thing in the morning doesn't help. I am pleasant, but a but firm on the voicemail. Rattling off my name, number, and serial number as requested, adding the little note that I have been calling since Monday morning and really need to speak with her today.
Frustrated I call back again.
"Good morning. How can I help you?"
"Hi, I have been trying to reach Kelly since Monday but have not heard from her. Is there someone else in the office I could speak with?"
"One moment."
It sounds like my friend the operator has heard this request a time or two.
An un-necessarily perky voice answers, "Good morning can I help you?"
I spell out the details again, explaining that I was trying to reach Kelly, and had left messages, but was really just needing some questions answered.
"Well, they are all in a meeting this morning so there isn't anyone else that could talk with you right now. Do you want me to transfer you to Kelly's voicemail?"
The well-meaning suggestion loosens my grip on my temper.
"I did just explain that I had left yet another message this morning. I don't think that leaving another one will help, do you?"
"Well, I am sure that she will call you back once she is out of the meeting."
This poor woman doesn't have a clue.
"I will call back later this morning to speak with the supervisor. Can you tell me her name?"
The magic word, supervisor, can sometimes cut through the confusion.
"Well, yes. Kelly is the supervisor for the office, so she is the one you would need to speak with anyway"
"Of course. Well thank you for your help," or lack thereof.
#10 - Go to a crowded public place and be a fly on the wall. Just listen. Can you pick out conversations? Write down a little of what you hear, maybe as dialog.
The sun bounced off the glass door as more people came into the store. Over the clang of the carts, and the squeeky wheels I can hear their voices come into focus:
"..just to pick up a couple things, then we can go home and start dinner for your folks" A pretty woman with a much taller man grumbles as they head toward the produce section.
"I didn't invite them, you know" He sounds defensive, and this is obviously not the start of this conversation, but perhaps a new chapter of it.
"You didn't invite them? Well who did? I sure didn't. Like I have enough time to do the whole domestic song and dance for your mom on a Tuesday night" The lady looks like she is ready for a quiet house with a glass of wine to me.
"I told you I didn't invite them, but they are coming over either way I guess. Hell, let's just order a pizza and call it good" Poor guy, he almost sounds hopeful. Does he know that is never going to fly?
The woman turns from the tomatoes and gives him a look full of daggers, "Seriously? So I can hear about it 'til Christmas about how I don't cook or do all of the things that I should be doing to make sure you don't wither away and die without living at home?"
She stomps away toward the rotisserie chickens, leaving him looking at the unsympathetic tomatoes.
"No, instead I get to hear about it 'til Christmas.." he mumbles, following behind her, fading from earshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment